Sarah Morreim Photography

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

I'm Leaving... Whoa

I can't even begin to wrap my head around the fact that I am leaving in just three short hours to head to the cities. My plane leaves on Thursday morning, but this is the last time I will be home for two weeks and it's a little bittersweet.

I will not lie to you; these past few days have been very stressful. I'm feeling completely prepared and ready for the week I have ahead of me at Miss America's Outstanding Teen, but a few speed bumps have tried to slow me down.

Saturday night was probably this worst speed bump of them all... My mom was making dinner, and there was an open can sitting on the counter. As I was shutting a cupboard, I drop my hand right on the raw edge of the can and sliced my hand open. As my Mom frantically put it under cold water, the only thing I was thinking was that I needed to play piano. I had this aching fear that I would need stitches to close my inch long cut, which would make it very painful and possibly impossible to play piano. I wrapped a towel around it and prayed that this was just a minor scrap and that I would be fine.

Long story short, my boyfriends Mom is a paramedic, and told me exactly what to do to help it heal. I refuse to get stitches, so now I'm dealing with a tube of Neosporin, a box of steri-strips, and an Ace bandage in hopes that the pain will subside and the healing process will begin.

So this speed bump has put a little damper in my piano playing ability, but I will NOT let it define how my performance will be next week as I compete on the Miss America's Outstanding Teen stage.

One of my committee members, Val, and my Mom told me that this is just an inconvenience and they are absolutely right. This will not stop me nor will it hold me back.

So as I'm leaving my home, I ask for prayers for a safe journey. As I was reading my devotions today, I thought to share it with all of you because this short thing has instilled a certain peace in me. A peace that only the Lord can give me and I hope that it can bring the same inspiration to you.

This devotion was written my Bethany Hamilton, the surfer who lost her arm in a shark attack:

"Imagine carrying three suitcases, two garment bags, a backpack, a briefcase, and two purses to school or work or church. It would be like trying to surf wearing snowboarding gear, heavy boots, and gloves - what a burden! That's what it feels like when you carry guilt, hurt, bitterness, and forgiveness in your heart.

Fortunately, God can take those burdens away from you. So instead of being buried in baggage, you can rest in the joy and peace he gives. But it means surrender and forgiveness. When I lost my arm, I could have been bitter toward God for what happened. But I made a decision to deny those feelings and instead enjoy the peace and joy God offers. You need to give up whatever is burdening you or, if there is nothing right now, decide in your heart to give it up before it even happens, like I did.

It may seem like you're being weak by admitting your pain, but it's exactly the opposite. God promises his strength to carry you, plus an abundant life, peace, and joy despite sorrow and pain. So drop those bags and stand up straight in God's freedom."

All my love,
Bailey Wachholz
Miss Minnesota's Outstanding Teen 2012
My luggage :) 4 suitcases, a carry on, and a big purse!

No comments:

Post a Comment